If you find this blog funny, clever or even useful, you can keep it alive with a small donation. Thank you!
- One Hundred Years Ago, Whites couldn’t bear Blacks being Successful – May 1921: Black Wall Street
- Hitchhiking, an Odyssey with 50 Hail Marys (part 3 of 3)
- Hitchhiking, an Odyssey with 50 Hail Marys (part 2 of 3)
- Hitchhiking, an Odyssey with 50 Hail Marys (part 1 of 3)
- Post-Pandemic Plans
- A Walk around Baza
- One Hundred Years Ago, a Royal Funeral was the Last Gasp of Times Past – April 1921: Augusta Victoria
- There is always a Fossibility
- One Hundred Years Ago, an Armenian Student took the Law into his own Hands – March 1921: Operation Nemesis
- Quite some Drama
Category Archives: Music
Zur deutschen Fassung. When I disclose that I am from Germany, I am always asked about soccer, cars or Nazis. Sometimes, I would rather pretend that I am from Lithuania or some other little known country. But in Peru, I … Continue reading
Zur deutschen Fassung dieses Artikels. It seems that the Corona virus will impede long-distance travel for quite a while. In that time of need, maybe we’ll finally discover what has always been so close. Writing for an international audience, it’s … Continue reading
When I lived in Romania, some people said about the long-term dictator, who was overthrown in 1989: “You know, in the beginning, Ceaușescu was not even that bad. After he came to power in 1965, he distanced Romania from the … Continue reading
It’s winter and I am in a big city, so I felt like watching a movie about the outdoors and about hiking in anticipation of the coming summer. Wild, the story of Cheryl Strayed’s hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, … Continue reading
I had gone to Huéscar for market day, thinking I might as well look for my favorite Spanish newspaper, El Pais. It would find it at the tobacco shop, I was told. As I entered the store, just around the … Continue reading
Sad news can be a reason to (re)watch one of the best films of all time.
That calls for a break every now and then. Photographed in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Hiking in Montenegro, there is always something to discover, even deep in the mountains. But more often than not, the places have long been deserted. Did you notice how perfectly I synchronized the music to the action? On my first … Continue reading
Finally, I found the song that describes my life: The film clips show Sam Neill as Sidney Reilly in Reilly – Ace of Spies. I came across this series in a very convoluted way: listening to Dmitri Shostakovich’s Gadfly suite, I … Continue reading