- “Time is more valuable than money could ever dream of being.” (Dan Kieran in The Idle Traveller)
- Thanks to Thomas Kuban for pointing me to The Ultimate Productivity Blog.
- Thanks to Priscila Serrano for the book 60 Degrees North, in which Malachy Tallack travels around the world on that parallel.
- Do you remember when I lived in that cute town in Romania that nobody knew how to spell correctly? Well, my article about this dilemma has now prompted a Romanian journalist to investigate the matter further.
- Messages for which I delete and block Facebook friends:
- I have always been skeptical of those DNA heritage tests where people find out that they are 23% Anglo-Saxon, 5% Sardinian, and so on (maybe because as a lawyer, I determine citizenship legally, not by heritage, identity or other vague concepts). But listening to this show with A.J. Jacobs, author of It’s All Relative, actually made me excited about trying it myself.
- I have yet to meet a Brexiteer who understands the difference between the EU, the EEA, Schengen and the Council of Europe.
- Thanks to Dieter Schuffenhauer for Without You, There is no Us, an intriguing and excellently written look inside North Korea, and Another Great Day at Sea about life on an aircraft carrier.
- Thanks to Jackie Danson for They thought they were free: The Germans, 1933-45, Milton Mayer’s study of the lives of ordinary Germans under the Nazis.
- Thanks to Emmily for Ashenden by William Somerset Maugham, The Laughing Monsters by Denis Johnson and A Walk in the Woods by Lee Blessing, a very generous reward for a few questions answered in my FAQ on German citizenship.
- My positive view of solitude has been backed up by more studies.
- This interview with historian Catherine Nixey was most eye-opening about the fundamentalism and brutality of early Christianity. I am looking forward to reading her book.
- Because of the internet censorship in Turkmenistan, I thought this would never happen, but finally I had the first recorded visit from the country to my blog. There are still 11 countries missing, though.
- Some of the motorcycle chases by Brazilian police are better than the ones in Bullitt or Jason Bourne:
No recuerdo bien cual era la fecha para congratular a las personas llamadas Andreas,….. pero en todo caso estoy pensando en inventar una fecha para enviar regalos a las personas llamadas Dany!
Si, mi fecha es el 30 de noviembre.
Pero tampoco he recibido regalos. :-(
Ooo, yo pensé que los libros de los puntos 3,6,8,9 y 10 eran sus regalos…entonces no funciona! apelare a la fecha de cumpleaños.
Ah, ahora entiendo! Quiero creer que los regalos son para el blog, pero en realidad la mayoria son para decir gracis por mi trabajo como abogado.