Canada has real winters, it seems.

My next house- and cat-sitting job will take me to Calgary in Canada during the deepest winter, from December to March. I knew that it would be cold and full of snow, of course, and it’s actually what I have been looking forward to. Because cold winters are good for productivity, as I can’t go for long walks and sit in the park all day. So, you, dear readers, should expect many more articles this winter.

But then, a friend from Cochrane, close to Calgary, sent this photo taken on October 2nd and I got slightly worried.

Edward Allen 2-Oct.jpg

If this is the beginning of autumn, I wonder what real winter will look – and feel – like in Canada.

This entry was posted in Canada, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Canada has real winters, it seems.

1. Snart says:

Go for it Andreas. It is bright and beautiful, cosy inside and cold outside.

2. Anonymous says:

Lol yep very cold no where to go but stay home if possible, welcome to Canada, from a German exile living in Quebec. always nice to read you…so im glad you honking down…☺️

3. Sydney says:

Pack a toque, mittens, scarf, fleece longjohns, and invest in a good pair of Sorel winter boots ;) You can also order an incredibly snuggly pair of authentic First Nation made mucklucks from Manitoba Mucklucks!

Good news is Calgary is known for its warm winter chinooks that blow through :)

Welcome to Canada 🇨🇦Moses!
    Hope to get a chance to meet you in person during your visit

• When you say “warm”, do you mean it’s only zero degrees? 😉

If you are in or near Calgary, we can definitely meet! I will be there for three full months.

4. timburford says:

Cities like Calgary are totally set up for winter – don’t worry. If you have the use of a car you can drive from one warm garage to another and never go outside. I lived two winters in Anchorage AK.

• Wow. Anchorage in winter, that’s the next level.

I won’t have a car, but I will only live a few blocks away from a major local transport bus station.

• Anonymous says:

Know that on those buses will be you and proud people like me in „service industries“. Middle class and up do not use these buses. They drive in their personally owned car, alone, from warm place to warm place. Very soft folk.

• All the more reason to get on those buses!
      Because I prefer to be with regular folks instead of people who think they are better and thus pollute the environment, clog up the roads and divide society.

5. gabe says:

True, Calgary’s winters might be real, but here in Winnipeg winters are longer, colder and sunnier. Just make sure you get and walk. You’ll love it.

• Good to know that winters in Winnipeg last longer, because I will only get there in April. ☺️☃️

After the house-sit in Calgary will finish in March, I am planning to go east by train, with many stops along the way.

6. Pingback: In Kanada gibt es noch richtige Winter. | Der reisende Reporter

7. Looks like a snowy adventure :-D Your friend has funny photos.

8. What if they see this and change their mind?

9. Getting “cold feet” about it?

10. You’ll be fine! A great opportunity for snowshoeing and skiing!

11. Pingback: “The Pastures of Heaven” by John Steinbeck | The Happy Hermit

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )