I was sitting in the park outside of the courthouse in Puno today, reading Nuestro hombre en La Habana and, fittingly, smoking a habano, when a gentleman in a suit – but without a hat – walked up to me and handed me a large brown envelope with a heavy stack of papers.
“This may be more interesting than the book you are reading, Sir,” he said.
“Ehm, thank you.” I looked up and smiled. “But who are …”
He interrupted me, not because he was impolite, but because he was noticeably in a hurry: “Watch out for yourself.” His voice was calm, but his eyes betrayed the seriousness of the warning.
As he disappeared into the crowd of teenagers, tourists, ice-cream vendors, photographers and old ladies selling hats and warm socks, I considered it impolite if I tried to follow him with more than my curious gaze. He didn’t look back once.
Not wanting to appear suspicious by getting up right away, I opened the unsealed envelope on the spot and began reading. They were obviously copies, not originals, and on almost every page, sections were highlighted by a yellow marker pen, drawing my attention to those paragraphs.
And this was only the first page.
As I continued reading,
- I was so shocked by the material on the ties between Donald Trump and the Russian government, by the duration and severity of those ties, and by the implications that I forgot to continue smoking my cigar,
- I realized that there will be an impeachment against President Trump,
- but that it will be at a time of President Putin’s choosing,
- that President Trump will do everything to avoid that, putting US policy completely into the hands of a foreign power,
- that Russia doesn’t do this kind of thing just for fun,
- and that I would therefore be very worried if I was Ukrainian, or indeed Kazakh, Georgian, Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian.
Only later tonight did I realize that maybe I myself should be worried, too. Therefore, I have uploaded the total 35 pages for you to read here, removing anyone’s incentive to silence me. – And in case you think that I am making something up, these are the documents that CNN is talking about.