Why I never get a second date

Sitting by the river, the girl moves a bit closer to me as she begins to speak:

“Oh Andreas, isn’t this the most beautiful sunset? I am so glad we came here to enjoy this moment together.”

DSCN2952We both continue to stare into the distance, most likely harboring similar thoughts.

But then I cannot resist:

“Honey, it’s actually not a sunset. The sun doesn’t set or rise. We are the ones moving, as our planet orbits around the sun and rotates around its own axis. This creates the impression of the sun moving, when in reality it is the fixed point in our solar system.”

Another pause, after which I add, maybe with too much hauteur in my voice:

“But I thought everybody knew that.”

A few seconds pass before she looks at me with sad eyes, gets up and walks away, never to be seen or heard of again.

These stupid sunsets ruin everything.

(This story also appeared in Medium. – Hier gibt es diese romantische Geschichte auf Deutsch.)

This entry was posted in Fiction, Life, Love, Photography and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Why I never get a second date

1. Nadine says:

You should mention the“ moonshine“ and explain that….you will probably get faceslapped on top.Just in case you need a memory of some sort of a burning sensation

2. Mike says:

HA! Now that is some funny stuff.

3. vidavidav says:

Stupid sunsets! :D

4. JoV says:

Too much intellect for your own good, same goes for me. Makes it hard to appreciate things for what it is.

5. Josh Mashot says:

Most women are dumb.

6. ZaCook says:

It’s not you, it’s the locations you pick for your dates… next time try museums, libraries or bookstores :))

7. Pingback: Why I don’t reply to your messages | The Happy Hermit

8. Pingback: Sonnenuntergänge sind gar nicht so romantisch | Der reisende Reporter

9. Elen Floyd says:

Mr.Obvious on the rescue!😂 its not your fault mate…its just the nature doing its thing!:)))

10. Ana Mateo says:

I remember our second date

11. July Rojas says:

Jajaja.. En serio admiro tu sentido de humor Andreas. Estoy casi segura que sí una señorita le dice que siente “mariposas en el estomago” cada vez que está junto a usted. Usted se pone analizar en silencio , cómo es que esos lepidopteros ingresaron a su estómago … jajajajaja ( broma) hay momentos en la vida que sólo hay que sentir y no analizar tanto 😃😃

12. Una cita interesante… lindo paisaje + datos curiosos

13. I would say: yes, you are right. But I know something. We will die (not soon…I hope) and let’s enjoy its colors

14. Kendra Arenz says:

It’s exactly what I would expect from a German man.

15. This is why German is not a romance language

16. hahahahaha eterno disfrute de primeras citas

17. Clearly she was not the right girl for you!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )