Engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton

Isn’t it obvious that Prince William had been waiting with his engagement to Kate Middleton until the United Kingdom’s Supreme Court ruled that prenuptial agreements are now also recognised by English courts? Smart guy.

This entry was posted in Family Law, Law, Marriage, Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton

1. Andreas- I hate to sound like a sappy romantic (not guilty!) or a slobbering Royalist (well, partly guilty – I am an honourary Coldstream Guardsman), but I don’t really see Prince William, or his handlers, really being that Machiavellian. If you insist on a devious plot behind this seemingly harmless story of young love, I’ll accept that the timing IS carefully choreographed to boost the peoples’ opinion of the Royal Family. With the cutbacks the government is enforcing on the average people, the old argument of “Are the Royals worth all the money the government gives them?’ is certain to raise its’ head again. What better way to defuse that controversy than a romantic springtime wedding, with London all decked out in its’ finery, pomp and ceremony diverting the peoples’ attention from their financial worries? Let’s just hope that William learned how NOT to handle himself as a husband from his father!

2. Allie says:

There’s been a quiet little report that at the big powwow with the RF prior to the proposal that William almost called the whole thing off because there were too many fingers in the pie. I think he is his own man, much more so than his father, and somehow I doubt also (like John previous) that he’s not that diabolical or easily swayed.

It is curious timing, though. Good eye.

• I hate to say “I told you so”, but the main point of the BBC’s American news feed last night was that the timing of the announcement would help bolster public morale in the face of the economic cutbacks. So it isn’t just us little people that find the timing “curious”.
      I agree, Allie, I think that William is independent enough to keep the meddling down, if not to a minimum, then to an acceptable level. He does have the double blessing of being one more generation removed from the “old blood” of the Royal Family, as well as having the strong spirit he learned from his wonderful mother to help guide him.
      Now, if they want to make it a perfect ceremony, they’ll ship Mrs. Charles off to somewhere nice during the wedding. Like the Sahara, or downtown Kandahar with a bulls-eye on her blouse.

3. NobblySan says:

Hi Andreas, and thanks for your comment on The Mad Hatters.

If you’re looking for cynicism, check out my response….

4. lainie111 says:

Well, I just have to say that I think it would be-not only vulgar- but completely inappropriate for them to flaunt a Royal Wedding in front of the world.
    With the all the havok that our world is going through, the money would be better spent elsewhere.

• John Erickson says:

Lainie-I agree that it would be a hideously expensive affair, and despite protests to the contrary, it WILL be totally at the British taxpayers’ expense. (The Royal family is completely subsidised by the British government, and their offer to pay for the wedding so that the”poor” Middletons don’t have to bear that expense is a hollow offer.) The one good point is that (hopefully unlike his idiotic father) this will be William’s only marriage, at least for a decade or two. Every year, there are multiple “red carpet events” in Hollywood, with people shelling out millions of dollars for dresses worn once, paying millions for lavish spreads of food that mostly go uneaten, and motor about in leviathan limos that spew more CO2 in one evening than the average family car does in a year. I’d rather see Hollywood truly go “green” and do away with these hideous examples of ultra-consumption several times a year. By comparison, a Royal wedding seems a truly thrifty affair!

• lainie111 says:

I couldn’t agree more!

5. Larry says:

The Royal Family cost the British taxpayers £40 million a year.

The EU costs the same people £40 million pound EVERY DAY.

How many people come to Europe to Britain because of the European Union?

How many come to Britain to see Buckingham Palace, etc.?

Which drains us of wealth, and which is actually rather good value for money?

You decide.

• I don’t think the UK would have joined the EU if it hadn’t been in their own national and especially economic interest. The EU removes trades barriers to now 26 other countries which for the UK as a trading power is a substantial market. Similarly, most of the foreign investment into the UK would not come here if the UK would not be part of Europe economically and within the same legal framework.
      Also, the increased competition keeps prices down and services up. British consumers have benefited from other companies coming into the market and either offering better goods or services or forcing home-grown companies to improve.
      Not to speak of the free movement that allows Britons to live, settle and retire anywhere in Europe so that they can escape the lousy weather on this island :-)

• BM says:

No, the EEA removes trade barriers. Free movement has nothing to do with the EU and anyway is mostly in one direction. If you think the weather is so lousy, why are you still here?

6. Larry says:

If it’s so beneficial for the UK, how come Norway are prospering when they decided against joining?

• John Erickson says:

Larry- I hate to show my ignorance, but what is the 50 million Sterling cost to Britain?
      I have to admit, the EU isn’t looking too good these days. Between the so-called PIGS deficits, and the little-mentioned potential monetary disasters lurking in the eastern European countries that are either recent additions or are about to be admitted, I’m terrified to see what the next catastrophe is!

7. Larry says:

Sorry John, I don’t follow……

What £50 million cost? Do you mean the EU or the Royal Family?

• John Erickson says:

Oops! Fat fingers. I meant to ask what the FORTY Million Pound a day cost is to the British people, for belonging to the EU. You mentioned it before Andreas’ last response.

8. Larry says:

John,

I honestly don’t know where it all gets spent. I can only imagine the level that’s siphoned off by corrupt career politicians in Brussels. The whole set-up is a gigantic rip-off.

While not a fan of the Royal Family, the £40 million a year they get is relatively insignificant compared to the amount we pay the political elites in the EU. It really is insane. The Euro is definitely going to fail; however, they will not let the EU experiment fail – they’re so ideologically driven, they couldn’t allow it.

Even pundits in Russia have warned us that the EU is a soft tyranny not dissimilar to Soviet-era Russia. No Labour camps as yet, but for those of us who “deny” climate change, that may very well be on the to-do list for them.

• John Erickson says:

I just have never understood how you can take economies as diverse as, say, Germany and Romania, or even France and Greece, and lump them all together. And on top of that, to try to pass off one currency as being as valuable in a solvent country as one with a deficit of 30%+ of its’ GDP. That’s like showing a Mercedes and a Lada sedan to a buyer, and saying they’re both equally valuable and reliable! And I won’t even touch on the truly ludicrous concept of passport-free travel. Sure, it works within western Europe. But when you invite in eastern countries with borders more porous than the U.S.-Mexico one, then allow anyone inside to travel wherever they want, you’re just inviting terrorism. The EU might work as a trade supporter and western Europe travel agency, but stretching it to a pan-European governmental substitute is begging for trouble.

• BM says:

Passport-free travel is to do with Schengen not the EU. You need a passport to go from France to Ireland but not from Switzerland to Serbia.

• John Erickson says:

Sorry, BM, I didn’t make myself clear on the passport issue. I was thinking more of the influx from “outside EU” countries, like the massive northern African migration into the south of Europe, primarily Italy and Greece. Once there, the immigrants can obtain the paperwork required to “establish” themselves within the EU, through legal or nefarious means. Once within the EU, a terrorist amongst these immigrants could travel pretty much anywhere on the Continent for a terrorist attack. And there is still the possibility of travel, legal or not, into England to stage over to the U.S. That is, assuming they don’t take the easier route of traveling to Mexico and joining the rest of the illegals crossing the southern US borders!

9. Larry says:

John,

Unfortunately the liberal mainstream media and the political elites are such internationalists, they’ve given up any pretense of being interested in secure borders.

• John Erickson says:

Larry- Or, from the looks of the financial indices, any concept of sovereign wealth. So when do the lorries full of euros back up to the banks of Spain? They’ve bailed out Greece, helped out Italy and Portugal, and are now dumping millions into Ireland’s banks. Any bets who will be next? We’ve got plenty of dollars to cover all bets, the Federal Reserve keeps printing more. (Hmm – the government prints money with no backing, and it’s legal. I do it, and it’s counterfeiting. Curious!)

10. Did anyone notice that the date chosen by Prince William and Ms Middleton for their wedding, 29 April, was also the day when Adolf Hitler got married to Eva Braun?
    I hope these two young people don’t also plan to kill themselves the next day.

• John Erickson says:

Well, let’s hope the Russians aren’t invading London and shelling the Houses of Parliament to pieces! Although I don’t know if they have any of the old Cold War bunkers still usable. Either way, let’s hope that the idiots in North Korea or Ivory Coast or wherever else don’t get involved in another World War before these kids can get married. After all, William doesn’t seem to be COMPLETELY INSANE, unlike the Little Corporal.

11. Pingback: Fortschritt in Großbritannien | Mosereien