Next trip: Andalusia

Over the summer, you have already noticed that not much was happening on my blog. The reason was that in July and August, I was living in Vienna, which is, as is generally known and now confirmed by my personal experience, the most livable city in the world. I traveled there with a backpack full of books, notes and good intentions, only to be immediately wooed by the most enchanting city along the Danube. The beautiful weather, the enormous parks, the number of cultural events and many interesting acquaintances didn’t leave me with much time to write. “Who knows if I will ever spend that much time in Vienna again,” I thought and dropped working, writing and studying in favor of daily and, in most cases, aimless strolls.

I have rarely been as happy as during that summer in Vienna. As one lady said, when we were walking through the Hofburg under the full moon: “Vienna makes you fall in love.” Of course, I wanted to inquire whether she only meant the city or me, too, but somehow the conversation quickly returned to the rule of law and Austrian neutrality. Well, another chance gloriously missed.

In any case, after a city so rich in charms, I am looking for a change by moving to a small mountain village. This village is in Andalusia, it’s called Venta Micena, and 42 people are living there, according to the last census, although I honestly doubt whether all of them are still alive. Because when I looked for photos of Venta Micena, I only found these three.

This is the village,

8109588

this is the landscape,

Venta Micena landscape.JPG

and this seems to be the fate of the erstwhile inhabitants.

skeleton.JPG

After receiving a deluge of wishes to visit me in Vienna, I am certain that nobody will want to visit me in Andalusia. And if, I will spot you hours in advance, when your horse will be whirling up dust at the other end of the valley, allowing me enough time to go out and hunt for a steak.

But the readers who were hoping for beautiful photos, or even a postcard, from Andalusia must not despair. Venta Micena obviously doesn’t have an airport, so I will be in Málaga and in Granada for a few days at the beginning and the end of my stay, respectively.

poster-alhambra-in-granada-225008

I will leave on Tuesday. Let’s hope that this autumn in Andalusia will extend my summer.

(Hier findet Ihr die deutsche Fassung dieser Ankündigung.)

This entry was posted in Andalusia, Spain, Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Next trip: Andalusia

1. Pingback: Nächste Reise: Andalusien | Der reisende Reporter

2. Caroline says:

Hi how you

• I am in Baza for two days. It’s the last stop on my trip to Venta Micena, and I am actually quite taken in by this town. A beautiful and friendly place!

3. Pingback: Venta Micena – Day 1/30 | The Happy Hermit

4. Ruth Eley says:

We live in a cave house about 30 mins/30km drive from Venta Micena.

• Are you still going to be here in October?
      Because it seems that a lot of people leave at the end of the summer (although I personally find the temperatures perfect now).

• Ruth Eley says:

Yes, we live here permanently now, just completed our first full year.

• That’s great! I am just visiting for a month, but I find it sad that many people leave at this time of year. Now is exactly when the climate becomes bearable, and when there is snow on the mountains, the views must be spectacular.

• Ruth Eley says:

Yes, this is my favourite time of year here, and although it generally drops below freezing at night in the coldest months, you can often still be in short sleeves in the afternoon sun. The snow on the mountains is beautiful, and I enjoy being cosy inside our cave with the log burner going. July and August have become my least favourite months as just too hot to do much, although nice and cool inside and I love using all the outdoor village communal pools. You’re near Orce, which has the only one in the area that’s open all year round, and it’s fresh water with fish in it.

• Ruth Eley says:

Plus there’s Lake Negratin, although man-made, it is lovely but due to lack of rain and being exceptionally hot last year, and despite more rain this year it’s still not up to its full level.

• Ruth Eley says:

I see you’re off to Canada, another place I’d love to live, or at least visit again.

• I am also very excited about that, because it will be my first time ever in Canada.

5. Beautiful Country and lots to see, I should know I live there.

6. Sandra Leon says:

Cheers Andreas! Hoping you have your ideal time in Andalucia :)

• Oh yes, absolutely!
      I have been posting photos from Venta Micena every day, and you can get a feeling of the solitude and the dramatic landscapes.
      It’s really a shame that we are in different parts of Europe, now that you are visiting Europe.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )