- What a week in South America. Venezuela is moving closer to dictatorship
- and in Paraguay, protesters set the Parliament building on fire.
- Too bad I don’t have time to be everywhere myself. Both would be extremely interesting right now.
- I have been worrying a lot about clean air, clean water, clean atmosphere, but honestly, the pollution that annoys me the most is noise.
- Why does the eagle in the Austrian coat of arms have a hammer and a sickle? Is he/she a communist?
- I just learned about the “Green Book“, a travel guide published by Victor Hugo Green from 1936 to 1966 that listed hotels, restaurants, barber shops and gas stations in the United States that accepted black travelers and customers.
- In an interview on that subject, someone remembered how, as a little boy, he was happy that his parents always had a pick-nick basket with chicken and melons in the car. Only later did he find out that this was necessary, for they were refused service by most restaurants and supermarkets on the road.
- For stamp collectors, there is an additional reason to ask me for a postcard, a letter or a parcel from South America: exotic stamps.
- Are there still people who collect stamps?
- I believe that my early fascination for stamps from the USSR, Tanzania and French Guiana arose my interest both in traveling and in history.
- If you want to join the French Foreign Legion, you should know that you have to do four pull-ups before you can even enter the recruitment office. I couldn’t do it.
If you find this blog funny, clever or even useful, you can keep it alive with a small donation. Thank you!
- The real Soviet War Memorial in Berlin
- Journey to the Center of Europe – Locus Perennis, Czech Republic
- Twilight at the Train Station
- Hello from Lake Baikal
- One Hundred Years Ago, Lawrence of Arabia killed the Railroad – March 1923: Transjordan
- Hiking on the First Day of Spring
- One Hundred Years Ago – the episodes you missed in 2022
- Gastronom No. 4
- Müggelheim, where Berlin looks like Sweden
- Journey to the Center of Europe – Kremnica, Slovakia
Join 8,762 other subscribers
Noise pollution worries me too. Hope your April is a peaceful one.
I am still pulling my hair out every day because of the noise in South America.
But from 11 May on, I will be on a ship on the way to Europe. That should be two very quiet weeks. Perfect for reading and writing.
Sounds absolutely lovely, very peaceful. Something to look forward to.