Not quite last minute, but two days before my departure, the house-sitting gig in the Cotswolds in England fell through. That’s sad, because I had been looking forward to it.
So, I sat here in Bavaria with a packed backpack, ready to go, and had to think of an alternative. Of course I could stay at home and study, but I was in travel mood. Looking for a beautiful place that I could easily reach by train, the choice was obvious: Mariánské Lázně (Marienbad is the more easily pronounceable German name) in neighboring Czech Republic.
Sometimes, I wonder why we often want to travel afar, overlooking the beautiful and interesting places in our proximity.
THANK YOU! I live in the Nuremberg area, and had never heard of this town! It´s now on my short list for a weekend away.
I think that whole area of Marienbad, Karlsbad and Franzensbad (I am using the German names because I am in a hurry) is fantastic.
By train from Nürnberg, you only need to change once in Cheb (Eger). The Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket is valid on both sides of the border.
In a few weeks, I will hopefully have a full report with more photos and advice.
It looks absolutely gorgeous! It seems that you don’t get fed up with travelling!! All the best:)
I get fed up quickly with staying at my dad’s house, though, that’s why I need to escape at least once a month.
And with such beauty as Bohemia close by, it would be a shame not to explore.
I can’t believe that at your age you still live at home!
1. Well, most of the time, I live somewhere around the world.
2. I am only in Germany for a few months of the year (some years not at all), so there is no point in renting a house and taking it from someone who needs it more.
3. I have a huge library at my father’s house, which I need for studying and writing.
4. I can’t afford a place of my own.
5. The fact that I don’t waste money on real estate is probably the reason I have a relaxed and interesting life and have been to 62 countries already despite not working anymore for many years.
6. That way, I have a secretary who receives, scans and forwards my mail.
I know that you live a very special and interesting life, but thank you very much for your detailed information! Buona continuazione con tutti i tuoi progetti. Gruss Martina
Pingback: Change of plans: Mariánské Lázně / Marienbad — The Happy Hermit – Truth Troubles