No wonder I got lost

No wonder I got slightly lost on my walk from Druskininkai to Grutas (both of which are in Lithuania), with sign posts like these.

sign post broken snow

But luckily I had glanced at a map before I set out and so I could figure out approximately where I was and could stick to the direction I had to take. It was a beautiful if strenuous 8-km walk through a lonesome snow-covered forest and across frozen lakes.

About Andreas Moser

Travelling the world and writing about it. I have degrees in law and philosophy, but I'd much rather be a writer, a spy or a hobo.
This entry was posted in Lithuania, Photography, Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to No wonder I got lost

  1. Pingback: Grutas Park – a Museum of Falsification of History | The Happy Hermit

  2. radius says:

    Andreas, thats quite obvious to me (How comes you have not seen this) :
    The sign post too much resembled a russian-orthodox cross, with the two vertical bars.
    I guess a patriotic Lithuanian, stubborn in its roman-catholic faith and still proud to track back its genealogy to the Order of Teutonic Knights, came along and “defeated” this symbol of a foreign religion.

  3. nekas says:

    Radius, do you even know a thing about Lithuania history? Lithuanias were the last pagans and the last nation in Europe to accept christianity. The fights against Teutonic Knights is part of the history people here are mostly proud of. This battle for example:

    I don’t mind the ironic sense of humour, that’s fine, but your comment there just sounds like an ignorance.

  4. radius says:

    Dear Nekas, yes you are right, even Wikipedia says that Lithuanian counts successfully resistet the Teutonic Order Knights. Sorry for my ignorance. But to the other point you made I’d like to say that they never opposed christianisation. I mean the christian church had so much to offer not only to the Lithuianians, but to everbody: Prospective of an eternal life after death (assumed they lived an obidient life-style and paid the tribute to the bishop), nice lullabies on Sunday prayer, shining brass instruments and pretty pictures in the church for those who did not had a glossy weekly society journal or flat-screen TV. Who could resist ? Perhaps I could not under the circumstances of the 13th century.
    Btw, my ironic senses are always activated when it comes to any kind of religious or national hypocrazy. If people define their surpremacy by any kind of religion, christian, jewish, moslem, hindu or followers of flying-spagheti-monster, I have to comment on this.
    Comming back to my main suggestion, that a russian-orthodox cross might get vandalized in Lithuania, don’t you thing this might happen indeed ??

  5. nekas says:

    Radius, of course everything might happen, somebody might even get killed in USA, etc. I just mean, that some kind of religion based fanatism is really not so “popular” in Lithuania… On the other hand catholics and russian-orthodox are both just two biggest groups of christianity, so that gives even less reason for them to “hate” each other.

    That was just a broken roadmark and it was you who came up with an idea about national and religion based hatred being the reason for that. That’s a bit of exaggeration…

    Going back to religion… But… but… I always thought that followers of flying-spagheti-monster are really superior !

  6. RADIUS says:

    At least the pastafarians (or believers of the flying -spaghetti-monster) have a good sense of humor, something I always miss among he more established churches. My suggestion with the broken orthodox cross was also ment to be a satyrical response. I would never make any general statements about any nation. I know it is stupid, even if you know 99% of all people, the remaining 1% might easily make up several thousand individual characters that proof the opposite.

  7. nekas says:

    Alright, means I overreacted. But I was insipired by previous story by Andreas about Grutas – there he took a small poster he found and was worried, that someone who does not know history and does not know the context might get the story wrong.
    So, after seeing your comment I was worried, that someone who does now have sense of humour and does not understand iroty… might get the story wrong.

    Long live the pastafarians !

Please leave your comments, questions, suggestions:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s