Today is International Women’s Day, but many of you don’t seem to know how to properly celebrate or commemorate it.
- It’s NOT a day for those who forgot Valentine’s Day,
- NOR is is a second chance for those whose object of affection has since changed.
- It’s NOT a day to send flowers and hearts and other cheesy messages to your Facebook friends.
- It’s NOT Mothers’ Day.
- NOTHING is achieved by wishing someone a “happy Women’s Day”.
- It’s NOT a day for companies to offer “Women’s Day Specials”.
No, it’s a day to fight!
As these Italian partisans show us, you can still be fashionable if you want to, but the guns and the fight are what counts.
8th of March is a political day, a day of justice, a day of equal rights and participation. Special Women’s Day offers with lots of stereotypical pink hearts are rather counterproductive and backward if you want women to progress beyond the status of Barbie dolls.
The only place where I have seen it done right was in Bolivia:
(This reminder was also published on Medium.)